Barbara Richard

Saturday, November 08, 2008

I love the picture we chose for the cover of "Chasing." The gypsy wagon is similar to the one that was my grandmother's home for nine years while she followed her husband all over the midwest trading horses. She did all the cooking and laundry over a campfire. It was also her job to hitch a team of horses to the wagon and drive it from place to place. Her husband, Gus, had his own team, hitched to a fancy "top buggy," that he used to promote horse trades, much as today's used car salesman drives a car from his inventory (with dealer license plates.)

This has been a fascinating journey, and I have learned so much about a segment of American culture seldom mentioned in history books.

3 Comments:

  • At 4:21 PM , Blogger james m richard said...

    Great work Barb! I'm sharing my coppies of Dancing and Walking with women at my clinic. My caseload is 95% women and 98% of those plus some of the men were abused for many years if they aren't still being abused. It's a real Social and MH epidemic here in Southern Texas. Is "Chasing" available yet? Jim - Beeville Tx

     
  • At 6:09 PM , Blogger Barb said...

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At 6:10 PM , Blogger Barb said...

    Hi, Cousin Jim! Chasing should be available early in December (I hope.) Please write us on e-mail and catch us up on your life saga. What's this "Beeville" thing? Have you abandoned PA?

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home