Barbara Richard

Tuesday, September 08, 2009

At the PNWA awards, "Dancing" did not place in the top three, but it was fun to be treated like royalty for a few days. I met a new agent; haven't decided yet whether to pursue that angle. My energy level is sorely wanting. I drove each way to Seattle and back in one day--a twelve hour trip. Good audio books saved the day.

A few weeks ago, my mother-in-law suffered a series of small strokes, so our time has been consumed with concern for her. She is currently residing at the local nursing home, making some progress. She is now wheelchair bound. We did manage to wheel her a block up the street for dinner out last week. That's the beauty of this small town--everything is within a few blocks. We have a lovely little medical center, and she gets lots of individual, loving care. We have big decisions facing us about when to move back upstairs and put her things in storage.

I'm still doing research for my next book--an essay concerning "What Does It All Mean?" or "What I've Learned From All This" for my kids and grandchildren. There's so much to study and learn that I sometimes wonder if I'll ever reach the point where I can elucidate my views appropriately. Thank God there are many brilliant people who have gone through this process before me, after spending years seeking. The information is all there, if one only keeps an open mind to all possibilities.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:05 AM , Blogger frances4655@msn.com said...

    One thing that my father's abuse left as a legacy. We were five girls. He hated me and programmed all of the others to believe that I was worthless. "We knock the sheep in the head who are like Frances" He was equally cruel to Norma. I tried tohelp her - but she didn't want helpfrom a cockroach like Frances. As adults Kathleen (who wrote Dancing on His Grave) and I are very close. Tris is a peacemaker and a diplomat and is careful. But Barbara and Norma have alienated themselves from everyone in the family - very sad. It definitely hurts me, because I have turned out to be a good person and I don't want to have my sisters as enemies

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home